In FY2016, SMAIF was funded at $53.9 million, which was used to support 33 programs and activities, and administrative resources. These SMAIF-funded activities serve one or more racial/ethnic minority groups, risk groups, and disproportionately affected geographic areas. These activities are led by nine HHS Operating Divisions and Staff Offices, who in turn make awards to grantees. All of the activities support the goals of both the National HIV/AIDS Strategy and the Minority AIDS Initiative by promoting innovation and collaboration across HHS-supported HIV activities, state and local agencies, and community organizations to strengthen HIV prevention and care among racial and ethnic minorities in the United States and bolster the critical focus areas identified in the National HIV/AIDS Strategy: widespread testing and linkage to care; support for people living with HIV to remain engaged in comprehensive care; universal viral suppression; and full access to PrEP services for those for whom it is appropriate and desired.
Minority HIV/AIDS Fund Activities
The Secretary’s Minority AIDS Initiative Fund (SMAIF) improves HIV prevention, care, and treatment for racial and ethnic minorities through innovation, systems change, and strategic partnerships and collaboration. SMAIF projects bolster national efforts toward: widespread testing and linkage to care; support for people living with HIV to remain engaged in comprehensive care; universal viral suppression; and full access to PrEP services for those for whom it is appropriate and desired. These activities are led by nine HHS Operating Divisions and Staff Offices, which in turn make awards to grantees.
In FY16, SMAIF was funded at about $54 million that was used to support 31 projects in 40 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, and Guam that are conducted by 200+ health departments, health centers, and community organizations.
Current Minority HIV/AIDS Fund Activities
- SMAIFSecretary's Minority AIDS Initiative Funding
- Communities of Color
- CDCCenters for Disease Control & Prevention
- HRSAHealth Resources & Service Administration
- IHSIndian Health Service
- OAHOffice of Adolescent Health
- OHAIDPOffice of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy
- OMHHHS Office of Minority Health
- SSASocial Security Administration
- SAMHSASubstance Abuse & Mental Health Services Admininistration
- African Americans
- American IndiansAmerican Indians & Alaska Natives
- AAPIAsian Americans & Pacific Islanders
- Black Gay & Bisexual Men
- PLWHAPeople Living with HIV/AIDS
- TransgenderTransgender People
- Women & Girls