National HIV Testing Day (NHTD) was first observed on June 27, 1995. This is a day to encourage people to get tested for HIV, know their status, and get linked to care and treatment.
The theme for 2022, “HIV Testing is Self-care,” is timely, given that self-care has been a particularly important topic during the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s also timely as the need for individual and community actions to promote physical and mental health remain critical.
Using this theme, partners can add a tagline to customize as they like. For example:
- HIV Testing is Self-care: Testing is key to ending the HIV epidemic.
- HIV Testing is Self-care: Taking the test is taking care of you.
- HIV Testing is Self-care: Take care of you and others too!
- HIV Testing is Self-care: Choose a test and choose to take care of you.
HIV testing is an act of self-care. According to the CDC, encouraging people to get tested and know their HIV status can help them stay healthy. Today, there are more free, easy, fast, and confidential HIV testing options available than ever before. Testing, including self-testing, is the first step to engaging in HIV prevention or treatment services. HIV testing is a critical tool to helping us end the HIV epidemic in the United States.
Watch this Taking the Test is Taking Care of You video to learn more about HIV testing and self-care.
Share These Images with These Links
Find HIV Testing and Other Services
Federal News and Resources
Read about Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S.
Learn more about the National HIV/AIDS Strategy (2022–2025), which provides stakeholders across the nation with a roadmap to accelerate efforts to end the HIV epidemic in the United States by 2030.
To highlight the amazing work being done in communities across the country to help reach the goals detailed in NHAS 2022-2025, HIV.gov launched #NHASeverywhere, a social media effort to spotlight organizations and their ongoing work in communities that align with the NHAS. Each f story will highlight an example of the collective efforts needed across the nation to end the HIV epidemic. Read NHAS’s first #NHASeverywhere feature, which spotlights a story from Red Door, a Hennepin County Public Health Clinic in Minneapolis, MN.
Check out these awareness and education campaigns from across the government.
Follow @HIVgov and use #HIVTestingDay.
- National HIV Testing Day Partner Activity will feature CDC’s Division of HIV Prevention’s Dr. Demetre Daskalakis and Greater Than AIDS, and Together Community Ambassador Morris Singletary on Instagram Live (June 27 at 11:30 a.m. EST on @stophivtogether).
- The National Hispanic Medical Association will host a Twitter chat for National #HIVTestingDay on best practices for inclusive care and treatment adherence for underserved communities (June 27 at 1:00 p.m. EST).
- Word in Black will be hosting a discussion on National #HIVTestingDay on HIV in the Black community (June 27 at 5:00 p.m. EST).
- #GreaterThanAIDS and @Walgreens are partnering with community organizations and health departments to offer free and confidential testing at participating Walgreens for #NHTD.
- NHTD logo: English PNG (73 KB) Espanol PNG (63 KB)
- HIV.gov branded NHTD logo: EPS (2.86 MB) PNG (74 KB)
- HIV Testing & Care Service Locator: EPS (10.5 MB) PNG (842 KB)
- NHTD graphics from Greater Than AIDS.
Use the Badge Code:
<a href="https://www.hiv.gov/events/awareness-days/hiv-testing-day"><img alt="National HIV Testing Day June 27" width="240" height="200" src="https://www.hiv.gov/sites/all/themes/hiv/assets/images/nhtdlogo.jpg" /></a>
Learn about the Epidemic
- New Campaign Seeks to Improve Health of People with HIV and Prevent New Transmissions
- Special Issue of JAIDS Highlights HIV Implementation Research in the EHE Initiative
- Pharmacist-Led Program Expands Access to PrEP in Indian Health Service
- DOD Updates Policy on HIV-Positive Service Members
- Basic information about HIV prevention, testing and more.