As part of activities to commemorate the 40th anniversary of HIV, federal agencies are holding a series of Live with Leadership sessions hosted by Harold Phillips, Chief Operating Officer for Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S., to reflect upon and honor the anniversary. The sessions include:
- Community Dialogue: June 5th & Long-Term Survivors, Saturday, June 5 at 2:00 pm ET. Featuring Gina Brown, Community Engagement Manager, Southern AIDS Coalition, Arianna Lint, Executive Director, Arianna’s Center, and Jesse Milan, President and CEO, AIDS United.
- 40 Years of HIV: Federal Leadership, Thursday, June 17 at 1:00 pm ET. Featuring Laura Cheever, Associate Administrator, HIV/AIDS Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration and Dr. Jonathan Mermin, Director, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention.
- 40 Years of Progress: HIV Testing, Tuesday, June 22 at 4:00 pm ET. Featuring Dr. Demetre Daskalakis, Director, Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, CDC and Dr. Elena Rios, MD, MSPH, FACP, President & CEO, National Hispanic Medical Association.
- Saturday, June 5th, 2021, 2:00 – 3:00 pm (ET). Click here to register.
- Thursday, June 17th, 2021, 1:00 – 1:30 pm (ET). Click here to register.
- Tuesday, June 22nd, 2021, 4:00 – 4:20 pm (ET). Click here to register.
Registration is required for the Live with Leadership sessions. These events are open to everyone, but please note capacity is limited so register early! The sessions will be recorded and will be available after the session for those unable to attend.
40 Years of Progress – It’s Time to End the HIV Epidemic
This June 5th, the world will mark 40 years since the first five cases of what later became known as AIDS were officially reported. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) described the five cases. This momentous occasion is also observed as HIV Long-Term Survivors Awareness Day. For more information about additional events happening to commemorate this anniversary, please visit HIV.gov’s 40th Years of Progress page.
Past Live with Leadership Sessions
The Live with Leadership conversations provide community opportunities to hear directly from key HHS and HIV community leaders about new and ongoing work to further the goals of the Ending the HIV Epidemic (EHE) initiative. The first session in 2021 featured updates from the HIV Research for Prevention Conference. In 2020, the series included conversations held during AIDS 2020, the National 2020 National Ryan White Conference on HIV Care and Treatment, the U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS (USCHA) and a special World AIDS Day edition. Conversations in this series are approximately 20 minutes in length and a great way to hear about EHE and key findings from HIV conferences.