PACHA Meeting in LA to Cover NHAS, Monkeypox, People Aging with HIV, Community Listening, and More
The Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (PACHA) will convene for its 74th full council meeting on Monday, September 19, and Tuesday, September 20, in-person in Los Angeles, CA, and virtually. Among the agenda items are:
- National HIV/AIDS Strategy: Harold Phillips, Director of the White House Office of National AIDS Policy (ONAP), will discuss the National HIV/AIDS Strategy’s new Federal Implementation Plan.
- Monkeypox: Dr. Demetre Daskalakis, Deputy Coordinator of the White House’s National Monkeypox Response team, will share an update on the monkeypox virus (MPV) outbreak and national response.
- Older Adults with HIV and Long-Term Survivors: A panel will discuss challenges experienced by older adults with HIV and long-term survivors and recommend opportunities for expanding and improving services for this growing population.
- HIV in LA: Partners in the response to HIV across Los Angeles, one of the jurisdictions prioritized in the Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S. initiative, will discuss their innovative efforts to address the community’s unique needs and accelerate progress toward ending the HIV epidemic.
- Listening to community: A PACHA-to-the-People session is part of the Council’s first day of meetings. Council members want to hear ideas about how to improve our nation’s response to the domestic HIV epidemic from community members, including people with HIV and people experiencing risk for HIV, people working in programs that provide HIV prevention, testing, and care services, and other stakeholders in our local, state, and national responses to HIV. This session will take place Monday, September 19, 2022, from 5:15 pm – 6:45 pm (PT)/8:15 pm – 9:45 pm (ET). We encourage members of the community to join in and share your ideas and feedback.
In addition to the live “PACHA-to-the-People” listening session, individuals will be able to provide public comments during the second day of the meeting. Pre-registration is required to provide public comment. To pre-register, please email PACHA@hhs.gov and include your name, organization, and title by close of business Friday, September 9, 2022.
Watch for the draft agenda to be posted soon on HIV.gov’s About PACHA page.
- Dates/Times: The PACHA meeting will be held on Monday, September 19, 2022, from approximately 1:00 – 7:00 pm (PT)/4:00 – 10:00 pm (ET) and Tuesday, September 20, 2022, from approximately 12:30 – 5:00 pm (PT)/ 3:30– 8:00 pm (ET).
- Location of in-person meeting: Los Angeles County Department of Health’s Martin Luther King Jr. Outpatient Building, 1670 E. 120th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90059. (The closest metro stop is the Willowbrook/Rosa Parks station.) Registration requested: Due to limited seating, pre-registration for individuals attending in-person is encouraged. To register, please email your name to PACHA@hhs.gov by close of business Friday, September 9, 2022.
- Virtual access to the meeting: To watch the meeting virtually, please visit www.hhs.gov/live.
The Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (PACHA) provides advice, information, and recommendations to the Secretary of Health & Human Services regarding programs, policies, and research to promote effective treatment, prevention and cure of HIV disease and AIDS, including considering common co-morbidities of those infected with HIV as needed to promote effective HIV prevention and treatment and quality services to persons living with HIV disease and AIDS. This includes advice, information, and recommendations to the Secretary regarding the development and implementation of the Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S. initiative and the National HIV/AIDS Strategy. Learn more about PACHA and its members.