New Greater Than AIDS Portal Developed by the Kaiser Family Foundation Explains the Affordable Care Act for People with HIV
Editor's Note: The following is a guest blog authored by Tina Hoff, Senior Vice President, Director of the Health Communication and Media Partnerships Program, Jennifer Kates, Ph.D., Vice President and Director of Global Health & HIV Policy, and Talea Miller, Program Officer, Health Communication and Media Partnerships Program from the Kaiser Family FoundationExit Disclaimer.
An estimated one in four people with HIV in care in the U.S. are currently uninsured and many more are underinsured to help PLWHA learn about new coverage options and how the law could affect their care and treatment. Greater Than AIDSExit Disclaimer is a leading national public information initiative developed by the Kaiser Family Foundation together with the Black AIDS Institute and supported by a broad cross section of public and private sector partners to increase knowledge, reduce stigma and promote actions to stem the spread of HIV in the U.S.
Presented by Greater Than AIDSExit Disclaimer “Obamacare and You” is a one-of-a-kind tool that includes specially-tailored resources geared toward people living with HIV, including:
- A "Find Your StoryâÂ€ÂExit Disclaimer feature that explains how someone with HIV may be affected by the ACA based on their current insurance situation
- A Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)Exit Disclaimer section that provides answers to more than fifty questions about the ACA as it affects people living with HIV, such as “Can I be denied health insurance because I have HIV?” and “If I receive services from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program or AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), do I still need insurance?”
- State-specific information for all 50 states and the District of ColumbiaExit Disclaimer on health insurance marketplaces (including a list of available plans and information about financial assistance), Medicaid coverage options, Ryan White HIV/AIDS and AIDS Drug Assistance Programs, and other relevant HIV resources
- A guide to the essential health benefitsExit Disclaimer provided under the ACA with detail about relevance to people with HIV
- A downloadable worksheetExit Disclaimer to help people applying for coverage gather relevant information necessary to enroll and make plan choices that best suit their HIV care needs
- A community toolkitExit Disclaimer including printer-friendly versions of all of the resources on the site, as well as suggested social media language and banners for use on ASO sites in promoting the resources.
The Obamacare & You consumer web portalExit Disclaimer is part of the Foundation's ongoing effort to help consumers understand the ACA and their choices under the law. The content is the sole product and responsibility of the Kaiser Family Foundation. Gilead Sciences, Inc. provided funding for its development. More of the Foundation's consumer resources on the ACA can be found on www.kff.org/aca-consumer-
The Foundation also produces fact sheets and analyses on the topic of HIV/AIDS, including materials on how the ACA affects people living with HIV. This information is available at www.kff.org/hivaidsExit Disclaimer.
Greater Than AIDS appreciates the efforts by so many in the HIV/AIDS community to promote this portal to those who can benefit most. We also invite any feedback on the site from HIV.gov readers. Please comment below.