Register now for the Office of Infectious Disease and HIV/AIDS Policy (OIDP)-hosted Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S. (EHE) initiative stakeholder webinar on Tuesday, August 9, 2022, from 2:00–3:15pm ET. The webinar will focus on HIV criminalization laws across the United States, their impact on ending the HIV epidemic, and HIV criminalization advocacy.
This webinar is designed to:
- Provide updates on major federal activities related to the implementation of the EHE initiative.
- Highlight recent developments to end HIV criminalization that will reduce stigma and improve access to HIV services.
- Present an opportunity for questions and answers from major stakeholders and federal officials.
Dr. Timothy Harrison, Principal Deputy Director, OIDP, will offer welcoming remarks, an EHE update, and conclude the webinar. Dr. Harrison will be joined by Harold Phillips, Director, The White House Office of National AIDS Policy, as he provides an update on the National HIV/AIDS Strategy and discusses its call to reform state HIV criminalization and prosecutorial practices. Emily Downes, Management Analyst, OIDP, will introduce the webinar’s guest speakers and moderate a Q&A session. Speakers include:
- Dr. Jonathan Mermin, Director, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Dr. Mermin will discuss HIV criminalization laws and ending the HIV epidemic in the United States.
- Brad Sears and Nathan Cisneros, Founding Executive Director and HIV Criminalization Analyst at The Williams Institute, respectively. They will discuss HIV criminalization laws across the United States.
- Kamaria Laffrey, Program Director, The Sero Project. Kamaria will talk about advocacy and reform.
Registration is required for this important webinar, which is open to everyone. Please note capacity is limited, so register early. This webinar will be audio-recorded, and slides will be publicly available for those unable to attend.