National Black Gay Men’s Advocacy Coalition’s New Focus: New Media
The Levi Strauss FoundationExit Disclaimer and Broadway Cares/Equity Fight AIDSExit Disclaimer have provided generous support to overhaul the coalition’s website and incorporate new media into our ongoing communication channels. This will allow NBGMAC to share timely information on key advocacy issues and improve membership mobilization and recruitment through social media marketing, better visual presentation and overall usability. Most importantly, enhancing our new media platform will increase Black gay men's awareness of important policy and legislative issues as we work to advance implementation of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy, health care reform, and LGBT health research and policy efforts.
As we begin this process of planning our new media activities, we will be asking the community and ourselves the following questions:
- What is our audiences’ use of and comfort level with various communication tools?
- How do we recruit new members through new media?
- How can the use of new media help NBGMAC reach its goals and core objectives?
- How can new media tools be utilized to meet the goals of the National AIDS Strategy and other policy priorities?
- What are the “game changers” in new media that enhance our ability to reach Black Gay Men?
- Who can we partner with to promote and expand our new media efforts?
*The NBGMAC site is still under construction. Stay tuned for the website launch, and a future post on lessons learned from Venton as we follow up with him in the next few months.